7 songs: Chris Stringer



Hey guys!

Today we've got the third post in our "7 songs" series and I'm so excited about it.

Without really noticing, this series is becoming one of my new favourites,
because we get to celebrate our emotions but also get to learn more about the songs other people decide to pick.

There's not a day where I don't find myself talking about music to at least one person - and I feel like this feature allows me to share these chats in a way that is quite intimate.

So, let's see who's picking songs today, yeah?


Chris Stringer is a singer/songwriter originally from Swansea, UK - now based in London.

Influenced by acts such as Bruce Springsteen and Fleetwood Mac, his love for Folk, Rock & 80s Pop was shaped by some of the best.

Chris' own sound could be described as Alternative Country which ties in Folk elements.

He has shared the stage with Nizlopi, Luke Concannon, The Blanks and more.
Chris has easily built himself a loyal fanbase with his unique, yet comforting and exciting sound.

You can now catch him with his new band, The Rocketeers.

Live dates:
3rd September 2017 - Palmers Green Festival, London (UK)
16th September 2017 - Stoke Newington Green, London (UK)
30th October 2017 - Stringer Things (Halloween Show) at Gullivers, Manchester (UK)


Alright, let's see what songs Chris has chosen to share with us!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

1) a song which makes you dance
"Us VS Them" by LCD Soundsystem

I am... not a good dancer.
Don't get me wrong; if I'm at a funk & soul event, I'll be cutting some serious shapes. This track, however, gets me moving whenever I hear it. Brushing my teeth, cooking dinner, whatever - I'll be bopping around. It's SO good. The build up, and the payoff. SO GOOD.


____________________________________________________________________________________________________

2) a song that calms you down

"T.R.O.Y" by Pete Rock & CL Smooth

This song has such a great feel to it.
It's relaxing, it's got a sick sample, and the lyrics are incredible - listen to/read them, the story is incredible. No matter what kind of mood I'm in, or where I'm at inside my head, this song never fails to bring me to a good level.


______________________________________________________________________________________________________

3) a song with a deep meaning
"Hurricane J" by The Hold Steady


I had a not so great time a few years back, around 2010.
This song arrived at a turning point in my life, and I will always associate it with that. I jokingly say it saved my life, but in all honesty - that's probably not too far from the truth. I joined the message board and made a lot of wonderful friends through the mutual love of this band, and the release of this song/album culminated in a London show that saw members of The Unified Scene from across the globe; if this didn't save my life, it certainly changed it.


_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

4) a song which makes you feel nostalgic
"Pure Shores" by All Saints


I make no secret of my love for this song. 

It's perfect.
This was a huge track from my childhood, and due to it's genre I guess it kind of got forgotten in my formative years. But nowadays I will champion this song at every opportunity, and I would it's one of the best modern pop songs ever written.


_____________________________________________________________________________________________________


5) a song which has accompanied you for a while
"Life During Wartime" by Talking Heads


I wanted to choose this track because, while it has only been with me about ten years, it's always there; above my desk I have a poster with the words "This ain't no party / This ain't no disco".
The lyrics tell a brilliant story and in the song I guess they're used to describe how difficult the conditions the character is in, but contrastingly those two lines can be applied to any situation where you just need to get on with it.


____________________________________________________________________________________________________

6) a song from your favourite genre
"Entombed" by Deftones


I find it almost impossible to pick a favourite genre.
One because my 'favourites' shift so frequently, and two because genres shift so frequently. I guess my favourite sound is a blend of big, melodic guitar sounds with a mix of both gentle and soaring vocals; this Deftones track really matches the kind of balance I love - and is, for me, an example of Deftones at their best.


______________________________________________________________________________________________________

7) a song by an artist / a band which has surprised you
"Seasons" by Future Islands


I don't think there was anyone who wasn't surprised by this track, particularly it's now-iconic introductory performance on Letterman.
Samuel T Herring is a force of nature. This surprised me on one front because of the performance (seriously, just WATCH IT) but also because it was different to what I'd usually listen to. I have an eclectic taste in music but generally pretty 'safe', and this was crazy. They are straight up one of the best bands I've ever seen live, too.


______________________________________________________________________________________________________

And now that you've listened to Chris' selection, 
make sure you also check out his music.

Listen to "The Bridge" below:




Chris Stringer online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Soundcloud | YouTube | Instagram



More 7 Songs: Savannah Outen | Vanessa from HITS



Thank you for your visit!













Credits // Words Intro: Vanessa Jertschewske | Words 7 Songs & Image: Chris Stringer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! :)