Gig Impressions: The Arkanes in Ludwigsburg


Hey guys!

Those of you who follow me on instagram already know what I was up to last night:
I stood in the middle of a massive crowd where the men had hair longer than mine, climbed up a ladder and got a bit sweaty.
Short: I photographed my friends The Arkanes in concert.

For those of you who don't know them (I'm sure you're new to the blog...):
The Arkanes are a rock band from Liverpool, UK.

Formed in 2007 the band has gone through two lineup changes and now consists of:
Chris Pate (lead vocals, guitar)
Dylan Cassin (lead guitar, backing vocals)
Andy Long (drums)
Jake Hallam (bass, backing vocals)

With an EP out ("Don't Act Like You Don't Know Me") they've already built a loyal and world wide fanbase. Debut album "W.A.R" took everything to another level - touring Germany supporting acts like The Rifles, Monster Truck and now Blues Pills.

All photos below were taken at Rockfabrik Ludwigsburg, Germany on October 8th 2014.


Their set blew me away. I've seen them play a couple of times and fell for the music when I heard live - but me oh my - they took things to another level yesterday!
The whole performance seemed spot on but not in a rehearsed kind of way, more in a passionate and driven kind of way.
You could tell that each member is absolutely into what they're doing and that's such a joy to watch.


The crowd was just as into it as the band; clapping, cheering, head banging - The Arkanes received some great reactions.
Whilst making my way through the crowd I heard so many people go "Oh, they are fantastic!" and "What are they called again? Need to check them out!"
What kind of fifth member would I be if I didn't stop every single time to tell them the band name and where to find them online?!


Those of you who know a bit more about house in the sand also know that I care a lot of about live shows. My favourite way to listen to music is live. So I also need bands to sound like they do on their records - otherwise it'll be a huge disappointment.

What I love about The Arkanes is that they absolutely do sound great live and also add some instrumentals, etc.
I think I love the live version of their new single "Command.Turn.Revolt" a bit too much.


As I'm writing these lines I'm listening to their album. I am convinced that the future of handmade rock music belongs to bands like The Arkanes. They've got so much talent and they know how to use it. They'll blow up soon.
(And then I'll run around saying "told you sooo!" because I can.)


It wouldn't be a house in the sand post if there weren't some cheesy words.

Kanesies- I'm absolutely honoured I get to work and also be friends with such talented and lovely guys like you. It really makes me happy to see you doing so well because you absolutely deserve it.
Can't wait to see what the future holds!

Note: even though Dylan is not on the pic - he's still cool!



The Arkanes online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Soundcloud


Thank you for reading!




More of The Arkanes on house in the sand: Video Interview | Album Review | Behind The Scenes




Credits // Text & Photography: Vanessa Jertschewske

2 comments:

Let me know what you think! :)