Album Review: "1989" by Taylor Swift


Hey guys!

Music has always been a motivation for me.
In first grade I wanted to learn how to read (and write!) just so I could read the articles about my favourite band. I started this blog because I wanted to share music.
It's quite obvious that my taste has changed over the years.

Believe it or not but I was quite the Taylor Swift fan years ago.
That's probably why I was really curious what her new record would sound like. Since I took the time to listen to it - I thought why not review it? 

Artist: Taylor Swift
Title: 1989
Genre: Pop
Label: Big Machine Records
Release: 27th October 2014
hits rating: 7/10

Taylor Swift is probably know world wide. With seven Grammys, hundreds of other awards and even roles in movies there is nothing she hasn't done.
Except a change of her music direction.

It seems like Miss Swift likes a good challenge and presents a complete pop album with "1989". Goodbye country, for now!

Tracklist:
1. Welcome To New York
2. Blank Space
3. Style
4. Out Of The Woods
5. All You Had To Do Was Stay
6. Shake It Off
7. I Wish You Would
8. Bad Blood
9. Wildest Dreams
10. How You Get The Girl
11. This Love
12. I Know Places
13. Clean

Opener "Welcome To New York" is a bit of a shocker - there seem to be more synth elements than anything else. It's a full on pop tune, a love song dedicated to Swift's home town of choice, New York. There is no other song which presents the genre change as much as this one. It's a little bit too much though.

"Style" is definitely one of the highlights on the record. A catchy guitar riff combined with mysterious beats and just the right amount of synths create a brilliant atmospheric tune. Taylor's writing has always been really visual and story telling. On this album you can clearly hear how they matured and got even more precise.

Born in 1989 Swift says the 80s had an impact on this album. "Bad Blood" mixes those 80s elements with modern pop sounds. The girly chants definitely march into the "vintage" direction, the beats keep it danceable. The lyrics describe and transport her feelings oh so well.

To sum it up: If you're familiar with Taylor's old sound you'll probably have to listen to the songs a few times in a row to get used to them. Once you are, you'll notice a lot of details which absolutely convince that she created a really good record.

You should listen to these tracks: Style, Bad Blood, Blank Space, Out Of The Woods



Taylor Swift online: Website | Twitter | Facebook


Thank you for reading!




Credits // Text: Vanessa Jertschewske | Image: Taylor Swift Press Kit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! :)