Interview: Carrie Lane


Hey guys!

It's been a while since the last interview. But I'm back in my curious "let's ask everyone thousands of questions"-mood - so let's let the interview season begin and jump right into it.

Carrie Lane is a pop singer from New York City, US. The original New Jersey girl auditioned for and got the leading role Wendy in Peter Pan. While being just four years old.
What started as theatre performance lead into playing covers and finally writing and recording own songs.
With her music she wants to express herself and tell people about the world from her point of view.

Besides being in the music industry, Carrie is also part of the model business. With the looks and the talent for it she became the face of Bangz, won prizes and signed a contract with MSA Modeling Agency.

And today she talks about both of her passions and even more.
 Enjoy!

house in the sand: So Carrie, can you tell us a bit about how you first started making music? What was your first time on stage like?
Carrie: The first time I was on stage I was completely terrified, I was only five years old and my voice was so tiny that the audience was no even sure if I was singing. This performance was the first of many as an actress in musical theatre performances. However, as I started getting older I started performing as a singer. In high school, I was co-editor in chief of our school magazine, Between The Lines that held a benefit concert for various charities twice a year. The concert was self organized and performed and it was the first time I really go to express myself as an artist. Since I was a part of such a close knit community it was an amazing opportunity to share with people I loved, but also extremely nerve wracking because everyone in the audience knew me. Since then, I started performing covers more and more and becoming comfortable with what best suited my voice. During this time I began wirting songs on my own and I know that once I get to share these with people it will be a whole new obstacle to conquer.

house in the sand: You live in New York City - would you say the city influences your work in some way?
 Carrie: Absolutely! Everything in New York City is extremely fast paced! People are always going somewhere and they always seem to be in a rush to get there. When you look around, everyone is extremely motivated and working hard at whatever it is that they are doing.
This has always driven a competitive animal inside of me. I don't necessarily like to compete with others, but I'm always competing with myself and pushing myself to be the best that I can be.

house in the sand: But you also visited Los Angeles a little while ago. What was that like?
Carrie: Coming to LA for the first time was honestly one of the most humbling and incredible experiences of my life. Being able to work on my career in a completely different element was something I was not used to. I loved the energy and creative vibes that are all around LA. It is a completely different city than New York and it definitely suits my personality more. I would love to get the opportunity to move out there at some point in my life and continue to pursue music because I think it would really shape my cragt and mature my sound as an artist.

house in the sand: You make music and you model - is there anything else you do?
Carrie: Yes! I am also a full time student at NYU, as well. Everyone always asks me if I have a favorite, but each one of them fills a different necessity for me at this point in my life. Modeling from a young age has thrown me into the business and honed my skills as a businesperson. As a model, your biggest marketing asset is yourself. You have to constantly market yourself and alter different askpects of your life to tailor to what clients are looking for. You have to be extremely professional in attending go-sees (model auditions) and on the job where you are often working with many people for very long hours. Doing this work has really helped me as a young entrepreneur trying to break into the business. In addition, school keeps me ground and on a focused track where I am surrounded by other students in an environment where everyone is really working hard and obtaining an excellent education. Both of these activities assist in my advancing my career as a singer in different ways.

house in the sand: Is there anything else you would like to try out?
Carrie: Right now it feels like I am trying everything that is meant to be for me at the moment. I am constantly experimenting with my music, writing with different people, an trying different methods for constantly improving myself as a recording artist. I am super adventurous and love to try new things, so whatever presents itself to me at the I am definitely ready to try!

house in the sand: You write your songs yourself. Can you please tell us something about the process? Where do you take your inspiration from?
Carrie: I write songs about what I am currently going through in my life. I keep a journal that I usually write in every day and these "letters to my diary" add up and usually create a theme of what is currently going on in my life. From there I usually sit down with my team and talk to them a little bit about what's going on and share some passages or quotes from what I've been writing. We then try to match the emotion that is coming from what I am feeling to an artist or track that is currently popular. Once we're able to marry the two in a way that suits my style, we continue on in writing what is hopefully a hit!

house in the sand: There are a few covers on your YouTube channel. Which song was your favorite to record?
Carrie: I love recording covers because they let you identify with what an artist is saying wihle adding your own interpretation. My favorite song to cover was "Counting Stars", by OneRepublic because it is really stripped down and an emotional song which I related to a lot at the time while recording. A lot of steps have been coming together in my career rand right now I've been really immersed in living my dreams, watching them grow, and not losing sight in them, which is what the song is about for me.

house in the sand: What are your plans for the future?
Carrie: My song 'Found You' is coming out on iTunes on April 4th as well as the music video release on YouTube the same day. I am so excited for people to hear the title track from my debut EP and get a taste of who I am as an artist! In the near future, I am going to be playing some shows and sharing some more music with fans, while continuing to write in the studio.

house in the sand: Please finish the following sentence: I am Carrie Lane and I ...
Carrie: am sweet, but unstoppable.

Thanks so much for chatting with us, Carrie! We wish you all the best and can't wait to see what you're up to next.



Carrie Lane online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Soundcloud | YouTube


Thank you for reading! :)



Credits // Text & Questions: Vanessa Jertschewske | Answers: Carrie Lane | Photography Carrie Lane: press kit LaFamos.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! :)