Interview: Kiirstin Marilyn


Hey guys,
the absolutely lovely (and beautiful!) Kiirstin Marilyn took some time to answer my questions and I can't wait to share the interview with you.

But first of all - who is Kiirstin Marilyn? 

Kiirstin is an independent artist from New York City and she's always been involved in music things.
So far Kiirstin released an EP called 'Something To Die For' in March 2012. 


With her newest single "The Struggle" she's ready to catch your attention with her expressive voice, different influences and a lot of genres blended together.
Watch out - you are going to love her!


Get ready to learn more about her musical background and find out what she says about giggles on stage, mosh pits and a lot more!

house in the sand: So while we chatted a bit you told me live performances are your favourites and that you love performing. Can you tell us how you actually got into music?
Kiirstin: Music has always been a huge part of my life. I went to my first major concert when I was 12, got stuck in the mosh pit thanks to my 2 older brothers, and totally fell in love with the concert experience.
But it didn't occur to me until much later that I wanted to be in a band. I started dance class when I was 2 and a half, was in my first play at age 7, and transitioned into musical theater when I was 10. There was really no question that I was going to have a career in musical theater and eventually be on Broadway.
My first memory of writing lyrics was in high school after a trip to London with my family and picking up a journal that had Shakespeare quotes on many of the pages. I wrote all through colege and attempted to collaborate with some people on songs, but I was always focused on theater and acting and I never actually wrote a song.
I wound up getting a national tour of the Broadway show Cabaret and left school my junior year to do the show. One of my cast mates on tour brought a guitar with him- he didn't play, he was teaching himself and writing songs at the same time.
This inspired me to do the same. I wrote some terrible songs and even played out a few times. A friend came to see me once, and said I needed a band so a few months and several craiglist ads later, I joined my first band, Ground to Machine, a progressive post-hardcore band based out of Hoboken, New Jersey. This was the first time that I ever considered abandoning theater and pursuing music full time. Joining that band is really how I got into music.

house in the sand: Obviously we can find you on stage very often - but is there also a chance to spot you in the crowd? Do you like going to concerts?
Kiirstin: I love going to concerts and shows. I love seeing bands like Glassjaw, Coheed & Cambria, The Gay Blades, 30 seconds to Mars, and I love being in the pit with the energy of all the fans.

house in the sand: Do you ever change or re-create a song while performing it live?
Kiirstin: Yes, my live show is actually very different from my EP and even my single. I perform with a drummer and a bassist and the live show has a lot more energy than any of my songs recorded. I also sometimes perform a song from my old band with just drums and bass, simplified but just as powerful.

house in the sand: Your favourite thing to see in the crowd is?
Kiirstin: People singing along to my lyrics and people dancing. Generally people just having a good time.

house in the sand: What's the funniest thing that ever happened to you on stage?
Kiirstin: I really can't think of anything that funny that's happened while performing my original msuic. Some thing have gone majorly wrong, but they haven't really been funny - I mean they're funny now, but definitely not then. Once when I was on tour with Cabaret I got the giggles majorly. I couldn't control myself. I had to get up and walk off stage. Thank god it was at a time when I was in the background - I just hope no one saw me - it was during a really pivotal and depressing point in the play. Ha!



house in the sand: Are there any artists you look up to?
Kiirstin: Absolutely! I love Lana Del Rey, Gwen Stefani and No Doubt, Incubus, 311, Coheed & Cambria, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, the list goes on and on ...

house in the sand: Which is your favourite song of your originals?
Kiirstin: "The Struggle", which is the newest, is definitely up there, but I think my favorite is still my song "Grim". It really menas a lot to me and is about someone very special in my life whereas most of my other songs are about a fight or a breakup or an issue I have with the world.

house in the sand: What are your dreams for the future?
Kiirstin: One day I hope to be touring the world performing my music. I've already performed internationally in London (England), Dublin (Ireland) and Toronto (Canada) and in the eastern United States.

house in the sand: Please complete the following sentence: I am Kiirstin Marilyn and I ...
Kiirstin: ... love animals.

house in the sand: Is there anything else you'd like the house in the sand readers to know?
Kiirstin: Hmmmm... I don't need to be rich and famous, I just want to be successful. I just want to tour the world and write and perform music and never have to work another job again that I hate. :)

house in the sand: Thank you so much for answering my questions, Kiirstin! I can't wait to see what you're up to next.
Kiirstin: Thank you so much for having me! See you soon!!

Watch the lyric video of Kiirstin's newest single "The Struggle" now!

 


Kiirstin Marilyn online:
Website

Twitter
Facebook
Youtube


Thank you for reading!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! :)